Three evidences that establish the authority of Scriptures above other religions in the world
1. The Bible is a historical document
The Holy Bible is a historical document with primary and secondary sources. For example, the old testament has scribes, prophets who wrote first-hand experience, and “handed knowledge” (oral tradition).
In the new testament, we have first-hand witnesses, letter correspondence, and written revelations from God.
- The Old Testament Bible is God’s words and a historical document written 1,200 BC, with about 10,000 manuscripts discovered.
- The New Testament (NT) has 25,100 manuscripts discovered, with 99.5% textually pure.
- The New Testament copies are less than 100 years apart from the original.
- There is biographical and archaeological evidence for the Bible. [Biblical Archeology Society]
- Prophecies fulfilled prove its divine source. [Reason to Believe]
- Jesus is a historical figure, attested by extra-Biblical sources. The resurrection of Jesus is the ultimate proof of God and the Bible’s authenticity. [Warner Wallace]
- Compared to other ancient manuscripts, the Judeo-Christian Bible was preserved for 3,400 years.
Plato, Herodotus, Euripides, Aristotle, Emperor Ceasar, and Homer
The New Testament copies are less than 100 years from the original document. Compared with other ancient manuscripts, the Judeo-Christian Bible is considered accurate.
There are older religions, like Hinduism, established thousands of years before Jesus was born. But the founders of these ancient faiths were philosophers, prophets, or polytheistic deities.
AUTHORS / COPIES
New Testament (24,633)
61 – 113 AD
58 – 50 BC
427 – 347 BC
384 – 322 BC
480 -425 BC
48 -80 AD
Other significant Bible manuscripts
- The John Rylands Fragment (P52) of the Gospel of John, dated 117-38 AD, is only a few decades after the original manuscript was written.
- The Bodmer Papyri dated from 175-225 AD, and the Chester Beatty Papyri 250 AD accounts for less than 200 years (other manuscripts found were within a 100-year gap) from the date of authorship.
2. Unique claims found only in the Bible
The Bible contains over 2,500 prophecies that have already been fulfilled. These include the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the rise and fall of empires that serves as strong evidence for the reliability and divine inspiration of the Bible.
- Jesus made 17 predictions, and seven came true after his death and resurrection. The rest is set towards end times.
- Only Christianity has the “Living God,” and other religions have dead leaders.
- Only Jesus resurrected and demonstrated power over nature, demons, and life itself.
- Only Christianity illuminates the beginning of the world, the destiny of men, and the assurance of salvation. The rest of the religions are about Moralistic Deism.
- Only Jesus died and was resurrected so humankind could be saved. The rest is uncertain.
- Today, Jesus continues to reveal himself in places like China and Iran through visions and dreams.
If the resurrection of Jesus is faked, Christianity will collapse
The resurrection of Jesus is the pillar of Christianity. Atheist Lee Strobel relentlessly tried to prove it but failed. Instead, he became a Believer in Christ. If Jesus did not rise from the dead, He is not what he says He is, the apostles are liars, and there’s no hope for humanity.
Four proofs that Jesus resurrected
- Jesus died on the cross.
- Early accounts of the resurrection.
- The tomb was empty.
- Presence of eyewitnesses.
How Chinese ancient records relate to Biblical accounts
The Chinese ancient records contain similar accounts to those found in the Bible, such as the existence of one God, the Great Flood and Tower of Babel, the Chinese character for lamb and righteousness, as well as the birth and resurrection of Jesus.
3. Christianity is unique
Christianity is unique in its belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who died for the sins of humanity and rose from the dead, offering salvation and eternal life to all who believe in him. This sets Christianity apart from other religions and worldviews.
The closest religion to Christianity claims Jesus is a mere prophet and not a savior—as would Satan would want us to believe.
Christianity is the one true religious faith because of the authority, divinity, and resurrection of Jesus, whose promise is the return and redeem God’s people.
- There is no other religion whose God sent his begotten Son to be a sacrifice offering.
- Other religions promote love, goodness, and happy life, but only Jesus promised eternal life.
- The God of the Bible is Almighty, who has a “redemptive plan for mankind.” No other religion has a promise of salvation nor claims to have a Holy and Just God.
- Founders of Taoism, Confucianism, Jainism, Buddhism, Shinto, Zoroastrianism, and Hinduism are either prophets or people who attained sublime wisdom. They are polytheistic with an impersonal god.
- The Bible, in contrast, speaks only of the one true God who is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, and personal.
- Although religions like Islam claim to have the same God as the Bible, their Allah is not the same as the Bible’s God. In the same way, the Christian Bible is completely different from the Quran. [Read Nabeel Qureshi commentary]