Bible verses on man’s sinful nature
Bad behavior may have resulted from our upbringing or is genetically linked. But Scripture is clear—our nature is sinful. Paul made it plain when he talked about it. He may be considered the greatest apostle, but he confessed to being the “worst sinner of all.”
He was, of course, referring to his “old self.” Before Christ came to him, he persecuted Christians and killed many. Still, Paul frequently wrote the subject of man’s sinful nature in his epistles.
- 1 Corinthians 2:14 – The ‘natural person’ cannot understand God.
- 1 John 1:10 – If we say we have not sinned, we make God a liar.
- 1 John 1:7-9 – If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves.
- 1 Peter 2:11 – Abstain from the passions of the flesh.
- 2 Peter 1:4 – The world is corrupt because of sinful desire.
- Colossians 3:5 – Put to death therefore what is earthly in you.
- Ecclesiastes 7:20 – There is not a righteous man on earth.
- Ephesians 2:5 – We were dead in the trespasses and sins.
- Ephesians 4:22 – Put off your old self, which is corrupt.
- Ephesians 4:31 – Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander, malice be away from you.
- Galatians 5:16 – You will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
- Galatians 5:17 – The desires of the flesh are against the Spirit.
- Galatians 5:19 – The work of the flesh is evident.
- Isaiah 64:6 – Our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment.
- Jeremiah 17:9 – The heart is deceitful.
- Mark 7:23 – All these evil things come from within.
- Psalm 51:5 – In sin did my mother conceive me.
- Psalm 58:3 – Wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth.
- Romans 13:14 – Do not gratify the desires of the flesh.
- Romans 3:10 – As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one.
- Romans 3:23 – All have sinned and fall short of God’s glory.
- Romans 5:12 – Sin came into the world through man.
- Romans 7:15 – I am of the flesh, under sin, I do not understand my own actions.
- Romans 7:17-18 – Sin that dwells within me.
- Romans 7:25 – With my flesh, I serve the law of sin.
- Romans 8:7 – The mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God
How can we overcome our sinful nature?
1. Only through Jesus
1 Peter 2:22
He did not sin; neither was deceit found in his mouth.
1 Peter 1:19
But with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.
2. With Jesus, we can overcome our sinful nature
Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
In the beginning, was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was at the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to God’s word.
3. Jesus has overtaken our sinful nature
We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be brought to nothing so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.
But thanks be to God that you who were once slaves of sin set us free from sin have become slaves of righteousness.