How can Satan cause depression and anxiety
1. He tells us there’s no hope
- The most frequent scheme of Satan is telling us there’s no way out of our problems or circumstances.
- He does this so we can lose hope and sulk in depression and self-pity.
- He uses the spirit of condemnation and hopelessness.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is renewed daily. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the unseen. The things seen are transient, but the unseen things are eternal.
2. Confuse and accuse us
- The enemy loves chaos and confusion.
- He tempts us to sin so he can accuse us before God. (Genesis 3:1-4; Ephesians 4:27; Revelation 12:10)
1 Corinthians 14:33
For God is not a God of disorder but peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.
3. Cause us fear and condemnation
- Fear (δειλίας or cowardice) is not from God. (2 Timothy 1:7)
- The enemy throws lies such as fear and condemnation to captivate our minds. (John 8:44; Job 2:9; 2 Timothy 2:26)
Therefore, there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.
Greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world!
Anxiety is in the mind, just as repentance is a mental activity. Ask the Holy Spirit to renew your mind. Whatever is the root cause of your depression, the Lord hears the cry of the righteous (Psalm 34:17), and righteousness comes by faith in Christ. (Romans 3:22)
The Lord hears the cry of the righteous.