The 20 Natures of Satan: What He Can & Cannot Do
Satan is a fallen angel who rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven and sent to earth, while he and a third of the angels in heaven await their judgment and condemnation.
According to John MacArthur, devils operate internally to unbelievers because they have similar desires, while they operate outside believers. They have limited powers but are aided by rules and abilities in the spiritual realm, working through a world system and in certain areas.
1. Satan works in the sons of disobedient
He can only do what God allows him to do. Although he prepares a snare to trap and devour the disobedient, unrepentant, and weak in faith (1 Timothy 3:7), Christians have victory against the devil through Christ.
What Satan wants for us
- John 10:10 – To kill, steal, and destroy.
- 1 Peter 5:8 – Satan hunts and wants to devour you.
- 1 Samuel 18:10 – Harmful spirit rushed to King Saul to kill David.
- John 10:20 – The man has a demon and is insane.
- Luke 22:31–32 – He wants to sift God’s workers like wheat
What God wants for us
- John 10:10 – Have life to the fullest and live it abundantly.
- James 4:7 – Resist the devil so that it will flee.
- Matthew 17:14-18 – Rebuked the enemy in Jesus’ name.
- Luke 6:18 – Seek Jesus to heal our troubled minds caused by impure spirits.
- John 15:5 – To bear fruit and be victorious by abiding in Christ.
2. Satan is the father of those who love the world
- Those who disobey God are children of the world, and they are the children of Satan.
- He is the father of lies who blinds the minds of those who reject God, who are his children.
- He is a murderer and has internal access to his children to deceive them and bring them to hell.
- He is the prince of the world who influences it with rebellion and disobedience. Hence, the world is in chaos, complete of lies and death.
3. The devils are cunning and organized
Devils are organized with a clear plan as they move in groups and territories, according to ex-Satanist John Ramirez. In the Philippines, a former Satanist said they devote themselves to prayers every Friday at 3 a.m., aiming to divide families.
They play to win, and their moves are calculated working in a world system, according to Dr. Karl Payne, who worked with demon possession. They have infiltrated the government, school system, and even churches.
However, demons are weakened when we pray. They fear the light of Christ in us. As disciples of Jesus, we have delegated authority to cast demons out and refuse their presence.
4. The devils pretend to be good and of God
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
“For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.”
5. Satan seeks someone to devour
1 Peter 5:8
“Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”
6. Satan accuses Christians before God
“Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers and sisters has been thrown down, the one who accuses them before our God day and night.”
7. He is a murderer and father of lies
“You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him.
When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
8. Satan is a deceiver and can blind minds
2 Corinthians 4:4
“The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”
9. He pretends to be light & righteous
“No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.”
10. Satan does signs and wonders
2 Thessalonians 2:9
“… that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders…”
11. Devils tempt us constantly
1 Thessalonians 3:5
“For this reason, when I could endure it no longer, I also sent to find out about your faith, for fear that the tempter might have tempted you, and our labor would be in vain..”
12. He steals God’s word & chokes faith
“…The sower sows the word. And these are the ones along the path, where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them.”
13. Demons can hinder Christian workers
1 Thessalonians 2:18
“For we wanted to come to you—I, Paul, more than once—and Satan hindered us.”
14. Sets traps to captivate our mind to do his will
2 Timothy 2:25-26
“Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.”
15. He can cause sickness or disease
“And this woman, a daughter of Abraham as she is, whom Satan has bound for eighteen long years, should she not have been released from this restraint on the Sabbath day?”
16. Satan can torment if God permits
And the LORD said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.” So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
2 Corinthians 12:7
“Because of the extraordinary greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself!”
17. Satan is an oppressor
“You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.”
18. Satan can possess or demonize a person or animal
Jesus asked him, “What is your name?” “Legion,” he replied because many demons had gone into him.
The demons begged Jesus, “If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs.”
19. The Devil once had the power of death
Satan may have released death unto humankind when he tempted Eve, but Jesus alone has the keys of Hades and death” (Rev. 1:17–18)
“… the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying can He (Jesus) break the power of the devil, who had the power of death.”
20. Satan’s power is limited
God’s children are Satan’s trophies, but he can only harm us if God allows him. However, unbelievers are easy prey. He wants to devour God’s children (1 Peter 5:8); so they can fall into sin and fail in misery.
1 John 4:4
“You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.”
And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, he is in your hand; only spare his life.”
The limited power of Satan
- Not Opposite Of God
- Approaches As A Subordinate
- Cannot Tempt Without God’s Permission
- Cannot Influence Nature Without God’s Permission
- Cannot Physically Harm Without God’s Permission
- Cannot kill without God’s Permission
- Cannot Touch At All Without God’s Permission
- Cannot Mention Believer’s Name Without Permission
- Cannot Force Believers To Do Anything
- Cannot Read Our Thoughts
- Does Not Know The Future
- Does Not Know What We Dreamed
- He Is A Coward