Root cause of depression between science and what the Bible says
- Science doesn’t know the cause or cure for depression.
- Matured christian can suffer extreme depression.
- Depression is a mindset issue.
- The demonic root of depression.
What science says about depression
Science says depression is a result of chemicals in the brain’s gone haywire. Relationship problems are common predictors, but they can also occur as a result of sickness or trauma.
What the Bible says
Insanity and physical disability were often associated with sin and demons. However, Jesus severed that notion; it’s not always the case (John 9:3). It sounds awful to someone having a mental breakdown, but sin has many shapes.
Science and the Bible
There is a correlation between faith and depression. About 61% recover from depression much faster if they have a religious or spiritual affiliation. A higher percentage (75%) is found in suicide. However, very few studies show faith and prayer “cures” depressed people. [NCBI]
→ The only cure for Anhedonia.
When science or faith didn’t help
Rick Warren & Charles Morris’ son
Andrew Stoecklein and Jarrid Wilson
In 2018, Andrew Stoecklein, the young and vibrant megachurch Pastor, preached about depression, then killed himself. In 2019, Jarrid Wilson, church leader, author, and mental health advocate, committed suicide.
→ How to overcome depression Biblically.
→ Is spiritual deliverance and warfare biblical?
Depression is a spiritual battle:
Flesh vs. Spiritual mind
Depression is a battle of the mind where self-pity gives Satan the opportunity to change our mindset. Scriptures tell us Jesus is our hope, we do not lose heart (2 Corinthians 4:16-18).
On the other hand, Satan tells us “there is no hope,” and the only escape is death. Metanoia or change of mind has to take place if we are to survive (Matthew 3:8).
The mind is the devil’s playground
- 1 Timothy 6:5 – Depraved mind
- 2 Corinthians 3:14 – Dull mind
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 – Blinded mind
- 2 Kings 6:11 – Troubled mind
- 2 Timothy 3:8 – Corrupt mind
- Isaiah 61:3 – Spirit of “no hope”
- Romans 8:7 – Sinful mind
Case and point: Mark Goodnight
Mark Goodnight is an associate of Christian apologist Mark Wood. He wanted to kill himself at age 5 and again at 15 years old. Diagnosed with level-5 neuroticism, he suffered from anxiety and anhedonia.
He saw a dozen psychiatrists and took medication for a time. Mark took illegal drugs in college and read self-help books to soothe depression. None of it helped.
Things began to change when he started reading the Bible. When he became a Christian, someone laid hands and prayed for healing in Jesus’ name. Suddenly, the blackness that consumed his life for the last twenty-five years gone in an instant.
“It’s been 25 years since then and I have no issue,” Mark said in a video below. True healing happens with Jesus. (1 Peter 2:24)
Case and point: Woman with schizophrenia
For a decade, a woman was on and off at a mental hospital for schizophrenia and manic depression. After knowing Jesus, the episodes stopped. Without church fellowship, she returned to Buddhism years after.
She also became busy with making money, and like a child of the world, she mocked God. Soon, her mental problem returned. Mental pills and injections helped, but it also turned her into a totally different person, controlled by the drugs.
→ Pastor’s kid raped: Testimony of Joy TanChi.
Depression is Satan’s tool:
God’s children are Satan’s trophies
Depression is one of Satan’s tools (John 10:10). He wants to control our minds to devour us (1 Peter 5:8). In John Gill’s exposition, the passage in Luke 6:18 meant we could be vexed with unclean spirits, possessed with devils, tormented, and afflicted by them mentally.
- 1 Peter 5:8 – Satan hunts and wants to devour you.
- 1 Samuel 18:10 – Harmful spirit rushed to King Saul to kill David.
- James 4:7 – Resist the devil, and he will flee.
- John 10:20 – The man has a demon and is insane.
- Luke 22:31–32 – He wants to sift God’s workers like wheat
- Luke 6:18 – Those troubled by impure spirits were cured,
- Luke 8:35 – Demons left, and he was in his right mind.
- Matthew 17:14-18 – Jesus rebuked the demon, the boy was healed.
- Matthew 4:24 – Jesus healed the sick, those oppressed by demons.
- Romans 7:18-20 – The evil I do is because of sin that dwells in me.
→ Can Christians be possessed? NCBI – Religious and Spiritual Factors in Depression.
 APA – How Religious Beliefs Can Protect Psychological Well-being.
 Miller, Fletcher, Kabat-Zinn – Mindfulness meditation.
 NCBI – Neural correlates of healing prayers, depression, and traumatic memories.
 Wiley, Todd Chan – Religious beliefs compensate for purpose in life in the socially disconnected.