What happens to atheists, non-believers, agnostics, and those who have not heard about Jesus when they die?
Those who believed and received Christ will go to heaven to be with the LORD after they die (See verses). Meantime, there is tribulation on earth and towards its completion, Jesus returns to earth (Second coming). The body, soul, and spirit of Believers are reunited and transformed into an “immortal, glorified body,” this is called “Rapture.”
The soul, spirit, and body (remains) of non-Christians or ‘unbelievers’ who did not hear or heed the offer of salvation will remain on earth, awaiting their future “Final Judgment” (Rev. 20:5)
After a thousand years (millennial reign of Christ on earth), those in the grave resurrects and face the “Judgment Seat of Christ” for their “Final Judgment” (Rev. 20:11-15). Some will awaken to everlasting life, others to hell. (Daniel 12:2)
→ How a mother faced the death of all her children.
Final Judgment for Unbelievers
- Seven Wrath of Bowls – The last of the seven Wraths of Bowls is poured to earth. Seven Trumpets were blown signaling the Apocalypse and the return of Jesus. (See Divine Judgment)
- Armageddon: Hebrew word for Har-Magedone. The antichrist gathers the army of many nations to annihilate Israel at the plain of Meggido. (Rev. 16:16)
- Second Coming: Jesus returns with His army in heaven, together with the army of Believers to destroy the antichrist and his armies. (Rev. 19)
- Millennial Reign of Christ: Jesus fulfills His promise to rule on earth for a thousand years on earth. The earth will live in peace for one thousand years, Satan is sealed in the bottomless pit.
- Satan is released: After a thousand years, Satan is released for a short time (Rev. 20:1-10). God’s reason is unclear for this.
- Second Resurrection: Those who are still dead comes back to life. (Unbelievers, atheists, agnostics).
- Final Judgment & the Great White Throne: Those resurrected face Jesus at His Great White Throne of Judgment.
Armageddon: The Rider on a White Horse
After the ‘Marriage of the Lamb” of Believers, Jesus returns to earth as King (Second Coming). The “King of Kings and Lord of Lords” leads an army. His name is “Word of God.” The armies of heaven riding white horses and wearing pure white linen, follow Him.
A sharp sword came from His mouth and struck nations with it. The beast and his armies are defeated. The beast and the false prophet (anti-Christ) were thrown alive into the lake of fire. (Rev. 19:11-21)
Great White Throne Judgment
Books were opened before the “Great White Throne Judgement of Jesus.” If your name is not written in the book of life, you are thrown into the lake of fire where there are weeping and gnashing of teeth. This is their final destination. (Revelation 20:11-15)
Is your name in the book of life?
The New Heaven and New Earth
The old earth old heavens are no more. The “New Holy City of Jerusalem” comes down from heaven. This is the final destination for all Believers saved by Jesus. In this place, God’s children are immortal, beautiful, and forever full of joy in the presence of the Almighty Creator. (Revelation 21:1-22)