Kinds of ‘Hell’ in the Bible
- HELL (Gehenna) – The general word used to describe the “final and permanent destiny” of sinners and evildoers. The place for weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 13:49-50)
- LAKE OF FIRE – The descriptive word for Hell or Gehenna, the “second death” and “final destination” of the wicked sinners, and those who rejected Christ to save them (Revelation 20:14).
- HADES – Unseen world in general in the New Testament. It is where the unsaved dead are, awaiting the final judgment (Luke 16:23; Revelation 20:11-15). It differs from hell which is a permanent destination.
- SHEOL – “The place of the dead” including the grave (Number 16:30,33; Psalm 16:10), and the unseen place of those who died (Genesis 37:35) and the wicked (Prov. 9:18).
Is hell real?
Jesus spoke of heaven and hell as real places (Matthew 13:41–42; 23:33; Mark 9:43–47; Luke 12:5). Luke 16:19-31 tells a story of the beggar Lazarus and the rich man who described hell. He said: “have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue because I am in agony in this fire.”
Who goes to Gehenna or Lake of Fire?
- Sinners and evildoers.
- Those who mocked God.
- Those who rejected Jesus.
- Satan and his demons.
Who goes to Sheol or Hades?
People who died without Jesus as their savior goes to “Sheol-Hades” (Matthew 11:23; Acts 2:27–31) while Believers in Jesus go to heaven immediately.
Sheol-Hades are in the same realm divided by a great chasm. (Luke 16:26)
- A place of blessing – Abraham’s bosom or side; paradise (Luke 23:43)
- A place of judgment – Where the dead awaits their Final Judgment in the future.
Did Jesus go to Sheol or Hades?
→ Do Christians go to heaven after they die?
How can I be saved from going to hell?
Humble yourself and acknowledge you’re a sinner who needs a savior. There is no other name under heaven given among men to be saved, and that name is Jesus (Acts 4:12). Membership in a church or religion will not save you.
Membership in a church or religion will not save you.
Your past doesn’t matter to God
The thief on the cross told Jesus, “Remember me when You come into Your kingdom!” Jesus answered, “…today, you will be with Me in paradise.” The thief believed Jesus was the messiah, that was enough for Jesus. Consequently, boasting of good things you did will never be enough to save you, only Jesus can. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
Do you believe?
God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. Do you believe this? Ask Him to save you now!